Naming School District Facilities or Portions of District Facilities
The Board will consider requests to name or rename a District facility or a portion of a District facility such as a media center, gymnasium, auditorium, or field. Once named, a District facility shall not be renamed without the consent of the Board.
Recognizing that the loss of a member of the school community is deeply felt, schools will support staff, students, and families who feel the loss and will assist with connections to appropriate community resources. However, school sites should not serve as a venue for the long-term memorializing of past of present students or staff.
Any request will take into account the following criteria, if relevant:
– Historical preservation.
– District traditions.
– The traditions and programs of the facility.
– The intended purpose and function of the facility.
– The geographical area in which the facility is located.
– The long-range impact of any name change.
– The nature of the contributions and moral character of a person or entity being considered.
– The need for any naming or renaming to have broad acceptance in a multi-cultural society.
– Other factors as deemed relevant.
The Board may decide to appoint a committee to review requests to name or rename a facility or portions of a facility. If a committee is appointed, upon the receipt of a recommendation from the committee, the Board may select a name for the facility or portions of a facility.
If the Board does not decide to appoint a committee to review requests to name or rename a facility or portions of a facility, they will determine whether the request should be honored.
The Board retains the discretion to name or rename a District facility or portions of a facility.
- Approved: 08-09-10
- Revised: 08-08-11, 02-26-18, 03-28-2022
- Documents: 802.6
Back to Series 800