Proof of Residency
All new students entering the Cedar Rapids Community School District and current students who move to a new residence must provide the proper documentation to establish that they are a resident.
For purposes of this section, “resident” means a person who is physically present in a district, whose residence has not been established in another district by operation of law, and who meets any of the following conditions:
- Is in the district for the purpose of making a home and not solely for school purposes
- Meets the definitional requirements of the term “homeless individual” under 42 U.S.C. §11302(a) and (c)
- Lives in a residential correctional facility in the district.
The following websites may be used to confirm the appropriate attendance center based on the address:
Linn County Auditor site: https://gis.linncountyiowa.gov/apps/miscellaneous/school-attendance-area
The parent/guardian name and the residence address must be listed on the document and residency at the address is required. Acceptable proof of residency documents:
- Purchase contract with possession date or closing date
- Most recent property tax bill
- Recent mortgage statement
- A current, signed lease or rental agreement with the rental term listed
- Utility bill (gas or electric) for the last or current month
- A pay stub from your employer, for the last or current month, showing the resident address
- A letter from the landlord with the rental term listed. It must list the property owner’s name, address, and signature; and the name and signature of the parent/guardian residing at the residence.
- If residing in another person’s home, please provide a statement from that person stating you and your child(ren) are living there, including their name and address, as well as one of the above approved address verification documents in their name.
- A verification of address form (in lieu of the above documents) filled out by a Cedar Rapids Community School District official.
- Any student whose residency is deemed homeless will be verified by our District Homeless Coordinator.
- Falsification of any information or document required for residence verification, or the use of the address of another person without actually residing there may result in revocation of enrollment at an attendance center and reassignment to resident school.
- Approved: 01-13-14 Approved: 01-13-14
- Revised: 12-11-17 Revised: 12-11-17, 02-26-18, 06-25-18, 01-27-2020
- Documents: 602.4c
Back to Series 600