Skip navigation

Sending Student Cumulative Records

The cumulative record will provide a continuous and current record of significant information on progress and growth. It should reflect information such as courses taken, academic progress, school attendance, physical and health record, experiences, interests, aptitudes, attitudes, abilities, honors, extra-curricular activities, part-time employment, and future plans. It is the “working record” used by professional staff in understanding the student. At the request of a receiving school or school district, a copy of the cumulative record shall be sent to officials of that school when a student transfers.

Upon the request for student records from another school district, the following items, if they exist, should be sent:

Send copies of these items – KEEP ORIGINALS

  • District Permanent Record Card
  • Blue Privacy Card
  • Immunization Card – (send original if in Iowa; send copy if out of Iowa)
  • Student Health Records (green card or manila folder; also print record from Infinite Campus system)
  • Birth Certificate
  • State Assessment Record Folder
  • Talented & Gifted Program (PACT/Prime Time) documentation
  • Current progress report or transcript with grades
  • Progress Report Folder (all previous progress reports should remain in cumulative file- do not destroy)
  • Legal documents
  • Discipline File (out-of-school suspensions, expulsions)
  • Intervention Plan Folder
  • Attendance Folder

Send originals of these items – KEEP COPIES

  • 504 Folder
  • IEP Folder (current and old)
  • Psychological Folder
  • Speech Folder
  • Any special education papers


Legal Reference: Iowa Code §§ 281-12.3(4)

  • Approved: 11-14-16
  • Revised: 06-14-2021
  • Documents: 606.1a

Back to Series 600