Interagency Information Sharing Agreement
This regulation supports the agreement of sharing information with the following agencies, which include but are not limited to, Department of Human Services, Juvenile Court Services, and local law enforcement authorities.
The purpose of this regulation is to allow for the sharing of information among the School District and the Agencies prior to a student’s adjudication to improve school safety, reduce alcohol and illegal drug use, reduce truancy, reduce in-school and out-of-school suspensions, and to support alternatives to in-school and out-of-school suspensions and expulsions which provide structured and well supervised educational programs supplemented by coordinated and appropriate services designed to correct behaviors that lead to truancy, suspension, and expulsions and to support students in successfully completing their education. This agreement implements Iowa Code § 280.25 and is consistent with 34 C.F.R. 99.38.
Parameters of Information Exchange:
1. The District may share with the Agencies any information contained in a student’s permanent record which is directly related to the juvenile justice system’s ability to effectively serve the student.
2. Prior to adjudication information contained in the permanent record may be disclosed by the District to the Agencies without parental consent or court order.
3. Information shared pursuant to the agreement is used solely for determining the programs and services appropriate to the needs of the student or student’s
family or coordinating the delivery of programs and services to the student or student’s family.
4. Information shared under the agreement is not admissible in any court proceedings which take place prior to a disposition hearing, unless written consent is obtained from a student’s parent, guardian, or legal or actual custodian.
5. Information obtained by the school from other juvenile justice agencies may not be used as the basis for disciplinary action of the student.
6. Any other use of information contained in a student’s permanent record is protected pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Records Transmission: The authorized agency representative requesting the information should contact the principal of the building in which the student is currently enrolled or was enrolled. The principal will forward the records within 10 business days of the request.
Confidentiality: Confidential information shared between the Agencies and the District will remain confidential and will not be shared with any other person, school, school district, or agency, unless otherwise provided by law. Information shared under the agreement is not admissible in any court proceedings which take place prior to a disposition hearing, unless written consent is obtained from a student’s parent. Agencies or individuals violating the terms of this agreement subject their entity represented and themselves personally to legal action pursuant to federal and state law.
This regulation constitutes the entire agreement among the agencies with respect to information sharing. Agencies may be added to this agreement at the discretion of the District.
The District may discontinue information sharing with an Agency if the District determines that the Agency has violated the intent of this Board regulation.
Code of Iowa Section 280.25
34 C.F.R. 99.38 (2006).
- Approved: 09-14-09 Approved: 09-14-09
- Reviewed: 11-12-12 Reviewed: 11-12-12
- Revised: 10-22-18 Revised: 10-22-18
- Documents: 606.4
Back to Series 600