In September 2014, voters approved a 10-year extension of Cedar Rapids Community School District’s Physical Plant and Equipment Levy (PPEL). These funds support the maintenance and upkeep of CRCSD’s 425 acres of grounds and 2.7 million square feet of building space. The PPEL has been supported by voters for 40 years.
View PPEL Promises by year in the resources below.
PPEL rate and fund use
The PPEL will be at the rate of $1.34 per $1,000 of assessed valuation, and will be in effect from July 1, 2015, through June 30, 2025. This levy will provide funds for:
- Building envelope maintenance and repair, including roofing and masonry
- Campus parking lots and asphalt for playgrounds
- Preventative maintenance, with planned equipment purchases and facility repairs, according to the facilities master plan
- Projects that provide for safe and secure schools for students and staff
- Increased investment in vehicles and busses
- Improved energy conservation efforts
Year 9 PPEL Project Highlights
This year’s projects included renovations that added ADA-compliant Restrooms at Jefferson High School and Truman Early Childhood Center, renovations to the locker rooms at Kennedy High School, and a roofing project that completed the last dome-shaped roof at Taft Middle School. Also completed was a new concrete parking lot at Washington High School, a life safety update to the fire alarm system at Truman Early Childhood Center, in addition to several other general maintenance projects at various locations.