Cedar Rapids Community School District is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all students and staff can thrive. We believe equity of voices, resources, opportunities, and expectations is critical for the current and future success of every student. This work prioritizes the growth of all staff members through the use of the intercultural development inventory (IDI) and the intercultural development continuum (IDC). The purpose of the IDI and IDC is to improve the ability of all staff members to effectively bridge across cultural similarities and differences. When this skillset is developed, CRCSD students, families, and staff will experience a more inclusive culture, an increased sense of belonging, and deeper cultural awareness.
Equity belief statement: We believe equity of voices, resources, opportunities, and expectations is critical for the current and future success of every student.
Theory of action: If CRCSD prioritizes and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion for staff and students, then we will improve student achievement, increase student and staff engagement, diversify our workforce, and decrease opportunity gaps for students and staff.
Initiatives in place
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion committee
- Hiring of four equity coaches
- IDI program
- Black student unions in high schools
- School resource officer program audit
- School improvement advisory committee to provide feedback, oversight, and guidance on diversity, equity, and inclusion work
- Black/African American employee affinity group to launch in fall 2021
- By the end of the 2023-2024 school year, all staff members will have taken the intercultural development inventory and participated in the professional learning sessions
- Increased employee satisfaction
- Increased employee retention
- 90% of staff believe equity work is important
- Increased minority hiring
- Reduction in subgroup academic data
- Reduction in subgroup behavior data
- Increased family engagement
- Improved teaching
Diversity, equity, inclusion committee
- Prepare/facilitate school improvement advisory committee
- Support human resources, business services, and digital literacy to lead work in their departments
- Support executive directors to lead work with their levels
- Create tools for monitoring impact
- Review and compile history, data, programs, and actions
- Organize current programs, resources, and professional development
- Outline core actions as a launching point
- Align actions to CRCSD strategic plan
- Review current monitoring systems to establish accountability
- Connect with school districts across the nation for support and learning through American Association of School Administrators (AASA) equity cohort
School improvement advisory committee initiatives
- Accountability partner—monitor impact
- Give insight and feedback
- Diverse team of staff, administrators, students, parents, community partners
Our diversity, equity, and inclusion team was a part of the AASA equity cohort during the 2020-2021 school year. During the year, the cohort facilitated intentional and deliberate actions to address equity in rural, suburban, and urban school districts. The cohort provided school leaders and their teams with a safe, collaborative, and action-oriented learning space for courageous conversations about equity in schools.
Teams engaged in lively discussions with experienced lead teachers, national experts, and a cadre of passionate school leaders focused on cultivating equity and excellence.